Edwin A. Payne Memorial Award
The Edwin A. Payne Memorial Award was established by Dr. Payne's mother upon his death in 1975. Dr. Payne was a member of the Illinois State faculty from 1952 to 1971. He was an associate professor of psychology.
- Must be a full-time student admitted to the Major in Psychology
- Must be in good academic standing and involved in campus and community activities
- Financial need is a factor for consideration.
Note: This award is generally given to senior psychology majors; however, this preference is not mandatory.
Eligible students should submit the following to the department's Awards Committee:
- A completed application;
- A current Academic Progress Summary (APS), which may be picked up in Moulton 107.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation, of which one letter must be from an Illinois State Psychology faculty member; and
- Evidence of scholarly and/or professional activity (e.g., honors thesis, independent study project, PSY 331 report, convention paper, publication, term paper, or a letter from a supervisor in any activity related to professional psychology such as PATH, OUTREACH, or specialized summer camps).
The application is an interactive Microsoft Word document.Click on the link to download the form to the computer's desktop. The application should be completed on the computer and then printed, signed, and dated.
The department's Awards Committee is responsible for awarding the Edwin A. Payne Memorial Award each year if there is an eligible candidate.
The award typically ranges from $200 to $500 each year. The amount of the award will be determined by the department's Awards Committee. If the funds are left unused in the income account, the funds can be carried over for the next year or transferred to the endowment account.
The Edwin A. Payne Memorial Award is an endowment fund and the award is to be made in perpetuity. The department chair is responsible for distributing the award funds and for appropriate publicity related to the presentation of the award.
The Edwin A. Payne Memorial Award fund is an "open" fund in the Illinois State University Foundation, which may be increased through additional contributions of cash, and may receive the proceeds from bequests, trusts, life insurance, real estate, and personal property. Additions to the fund shall be subject to the award conditions contained in these guidelines.